My rules for tipping:
1. Restaurants - 15% standard. When I'm not drinking alcohol with my meal, I usually determine the quality of service by how often I have to ask for a refill on my drink. If I never have to ask for a refill, I'll give at least give 20%. For every time I have to ask for something or call the server over, I deduct 1%.
2. Buffets - $1-$2 per person regardless of cost.
3. Chinese restaurants - If they write down a number on a piece of paper and hand it to you because they don't accept reservations or if the lobby looks like a cattle call or if the servers do not smile or if it's service by committee or if they give you a wet glass of water with a straw or if the server says "Wachuwant?" or if you order by number - 5-10%, if they take reservations then normal restaurant rules apply.
4. Fine Dining - Some restaurants are known for their service, in that case 20% is customary but 20% of a $500 bill is a C note, if you think that's a lot then you shouldn't be dining at that restaurant.
5. While I use my right to not tip if service is lousy, if its a restaurant that I frequent, then I'll give a 15% tip then make sure I get waited on by someone else next time I go. If you don't tip at a restaurant you go to at least once a month, then you'll pay for it in the end, if you know what I mean. If it's a place I only go to 2-3 times a year, if its bad service, then bad tip. If you really want to make a statement, leaving coins is worse then leaving nothing.
6. Bottle service - 15-20% tip is automatically added at the end, so make sure you consider that when you are asking for prices. You will usually be given the price of the bottle w/o tip and taxes.
7. Taxis - $5-10 ride = $1, $11-20= $2, maximum $5 unless you are taking a cab home from because you are too drunk to drive, minimum $10 (they are saving your life).
8. Hotels - $2-$5 a night maid service, Maid Service request (pillows, toothpaste, roll-away) $2 per visit, Room service requests (maintenance) ZERO!!, Room service meals - $2 (they add a service charge already and the food is over-priced so you're not being cheap), Bellman carrying luggage to room - minimum $5 +$1 per luggage over 3 pieces, Bellman calling taxi $2, concierge $5 per visit **Business trips go crazy big baller shot caller
9. Restroom attendants - $1 if you take something not normally available at restrooms w/o attendants. ZERO for anything else.
10. Bar - First drink - minimum $5 to get their attention (always buy 1 drink first). All drinks after that $1 per drink.
11. Casinos - Black Jack: 10% for any win over $50. If you win every hand where you split more than once, then tip 20% of your total (bet $5, split twice, win $15, tip $3). Your tips mean more to them if you bet it on the side. Feel free to ask them if they want to accept tip or bet it on your next hand. If you leave the table with a profit, make sure to tip at least 10%, unless 10% means breaking up a chip when you color up. For example, if you start with $200 and you leave with $300 then don't tip. Hopefully you'll have tipped a little while you were playing. But its a good idea to get up when you have $310 so you can give $10 to the dealer.
Roulette - If you win big on one spin (>$100) tip 5%. I think your big tip should be when you leave the table - at least 10% of your profit. I don't play craps that much, so I would tip around 10% of profits.
12. Strip clubs - When I buy my friends a dance, I won't tip for the first one. If they really liked the dance, then I'll buy them another one and tip at least 25%. If the dancer asks for a tip, then definitely ZERO.
13. Golf - Caddy 10% minimum, 30% or more if you shoot a personal best. Club washers $5-$10 depending on how racist the club is. The more racist the employees the more you tip, because you want to assert your financial superiority, unless they are blatantly racist, then you make them clean your clubs until they look like new, then you give them a shiny Quarter.
14. Barbers - $5 minimum, if they call themselves a stylist then they better wash your hair. In that case $10 minimum. If they butcher your head, then less than $5. I'm getting my hair cut every 2 weeks, so it adds up.
15. Car wash - If it's $20 or less, $3. $21 or more, then $5. If they are waxing or claybarring add another $5-$10. Always, ALWAYS walk around your car and inspect before tipping.
Remember, tipping is not a requirement. If you get bad service, then don't tip or tip accordingly. But when you do tip, keep in mind that the person you are tipping may not be the only one receiving it. The tip may be split with the host, the chef, the other servers, it may go into a pool to be split at the end of the night, or it may not go to the person at all. I used to date a waitress and she told me that it's bad form to tip an obscure amount in order to make the total a round number. That tells them that the tip is not based on their service.
If you go somewhere and there is a jar or bucket that is obviously handmade, then put your change up to $3 if you are paying cash. If its at a place where they don't serve meals (starbucks), I typically don't like to tip more than spare change unless the barista is uber nice. MAKE SURE THEY SEE YOU PUT THE MONEY IN THE JAR!!
The greatest service I've ever had was at French Laundry in Napa. It was a fine dining restaurant but our server was awesome, not at all snooty. He encouraged us to ask questions, was never condescending, seemed to read our mind whenever we needed something. At the end of the meal I felt like he was an old friend. The restaurant charged a flat price per meal which included tip. I threw in another 10% of the total because the level of service was equally as extraordinary as the meal.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment