Friday, July 16, 2010

Sarcasm Part 1

Why Part 1? Because this topic is so deeply rooted in my very being that giving it only one blip on my narcissistic blog would be a travesty.

I will begin with the idea that not everyone understands sarcasm. Usually, those who do not understand it are offended by it. By definition sarcasm is (looking up in dictionary.com) a "sharply ironical taunt". At face value a "taunt" can be seen as threatening and negative. The beauty of the definition lies in the ironical part. To be ironical is a gift. To taunt with irony is an skill and an artform. In no way am I saying everyone should taunt others whenever they can. You must choose your targets wisely and use caution in your subjects and delivery. Timing is essential in the use of sarcasm.

I use sarcasm in many different ways, sometimes to my detriment but mostly to my benefit. To make a person see the humor in their flaws or mistakes, I think is very noble. We often take ourselves too seriously when we strive for perfection that we forget that we are all human and we all have our quirks and idiosyncrasies. I think its worse to go about life not being aware of our social shortcomings than to accept occasional ridicule from our friends, especially when its done in good fun. The benefit I receive from using sarcasm is the peace of mind knowing that I can make people laugh. Sure, a lot of times it's at other people's expense, but I mean no harm. If harm is felt, it's usually because I've struck a nerve, been inappropriate, or used horrible timing. Alas, that is the risk of sarcasm. It is a skill that needs to be honed and used with sensitivity. But to repeat the most important aspect of sarcasm, its too lighten up the mood and bring humor into this crazy world we live in.

No comments:

Post a Comment