Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Unemployment Day 18

First of all, yes, I have accepted an offer for my next professional adventure. But technically, I'm still unemployed because I haven't started, don't have a paycheck, and don't have benefits...yet. Thank you for all the well wishes and congratulations. I am really feeling the love. Please also congratulate Anne, who kept me from losing my mind.

Now to whats on my mind today since I don't have to look for a job. Facebook.

Facebook, to me, is a revolution. Let me preface my thoughts by saying that everything I say is my opinion, not fact, not the gospel, nor is it trying to correct, teach, influence, or preach. Just a blog man, just a blog. So.........Facebook. Facebook has had a great influence on me. Like friendster, it has allowed me to reconnect with some long lost friends and relatives. Most specially (sounds weird) but yeah, most especially to be closer to my relatives overseas. Like Myspace, it allowed me to easily find things that interest me and connect with people with similar interests. But unlike other social networking sites, it has provided a community. I feel like all my "friends" are my neighbors. I know what they want me to know about them. I see pictures (the best part), I know their likes and dislikes, I know whats on their mind. It's like being on a private retreat all over the world with everyone I know.

Everyone can scream from the mountain top. Scream whatever you want. Someone is listening. There's never a shortage of people who want to discuss whatever topic you want. It's great. Growing up in the 80's you couldn't just go up to people you barely knew and start a conversation. Now, if I want to wish an old high school classmate happy birthday even if I haven't spoken to him in 20 years, I can, and it won't be weird. Crazy. If I want to discuss the joys of marriage or celebrate Kobe's back to back championships without Shaq, that would be ok too.

While it's not perfect (there is still a lot of hate), I think the beauty of it is that you could leave your opinion on other people's comments. It could be one word or a novel. Your profile is your personality. Your comments reflect your view on everything. It will show others if you are compassionate, sensitive, egotistical, opinionated. You are basically giving others a window into your soul. Although I'm not sure what farmville says about me. The there are those who don't reveal anything and just like to be a part of the community, that's fine too.

So, I say to all my fb friends, share yourself, leave comments, but don't hate. Respect everyone's opinion. If someone blocks you, deletes you, or limits what you are exposed to about them, its probably not a mistake. Don't ask them why, ask yourself why. It's probably because you did or said something to make them do it.

Wow, I'm new to blogging and am not the most concise writer. I apologize for the disjointed nature of my writing. I'm still high from everything that's happened this week. I have a new niece, I have a new job, and my father-in-law just had a CT Scan and is cancer free now for 2 years.

GO LAKERS!!

No comments:

Post a Comment