Monday, May 24, 2010

Unemployment Day 16

Had an interview today. I thought things went well. After interviewing a couple dozen times, I feel a sense of comfort during the interview process. In the beginning it was pretty nerve-racking. I was never comfortable "selling" myself. But I've learned, if you don't, who will? But there is a fine line between confident and cocky. What I've learned is that you can embellish on your resume. But you can't in an interview. I feel that the interview process accomplishes 2 things. First, can you intelligently demonstrate that you are qualified for the position. And second, do you fit the culture.

For me the latter is most important. Company culture usually determines how successful I will be with a company. If I feel comfortable then I am more likely to enjoy working more. I will be more motivated to succeed. The position will feel less like a job and more like a career. Also, if I fit the company culture then I have more confidence learning things I may have been deficient in to succeed in the position.

Another part of the interview process is salary negotiation. Salary negotiation is still a tricky process for me. I hate trying to put a number on my value. While I understand that you want to get as much as possible, you don't want to seem greedy. At the same time, companies are expected to offer you the magical number that shows they value you but also do not want to overpay you. Rarely does your number match their number.

This leads me to a question that I discuss with Anne all the time. Is it better to be overpaid or underpaid? If you are overpaid, you get the money but psychologically you don't have the security. If you are underpaid its the opposite. Then again, if you are underpaid, you may have the security, but you may not have much satisfaction.

Honestly, I wish salary was not a factor. I would love to just work for a company that demonstrates their appreciation. However, appreciation doesn't pay the bills.

No comments:

Post a Comment